5-Year-Old Cuffed, Arrested in Florida
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - A 5-year-old girl was arrested, cuffed and put in back of a police cruiser after an outburst at school where she threw books and boxes, kicked a teacher in the shins, smashed a candy dish, hit an assistant principal in the stomach and drew on the walls.
The students were counting jelly beans as part of a math exercise at Fairmount Park Elementary School when the little girl began acting silly. That's when her teacher took away her jelly beans, outraging the child.
Minutes later, the 40-pound girl was in the back of a police cruiser, under arrest for battery. Her hands were bound with plastic ties, her ankles in handcuffs.
"I don't want to go to jail," she said moments after her arrest Monday.
No charges were filed and the girl went home with her mother.
While police say their actions were proper, school officials were not pleased with the outcome.
"We never want to have 5-year-old children arrested," said Michael Bessette, the district's Area III superintendent.
The district's campus police should have been called to help and not local police, he said.
Bessette said campus police routinely deal with children and are trained to calm them in such situations.
Under the district's code of student conduct, students are to be suspended for 10 days and recommended for expulsion for unprovoked attacks, even if they don't result in serious injury. But district spokesman Ron Stone said that rule wouldn't apply to kindergartners.
"She's been appropriately disciplined under the circumstances," he said.
The girl's mother, Inda Akins, said she is consulting an attorney.
"She's never going back to that school," Akins said. "They set my baby up."
I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.
-You have to expect things of yourself before You can do them- Michael Jordan
yeah if it wasn't bad enough the mother says they set her child up, like it was jelly bean sting operation or something
I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.
LOL
they gurl should have got arrested
bet that girl will have the same opinion as elp6n on the jelly beans now lol
I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.
wonder if they were the starburst kind lol
I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.
shoot man, if I did that my mom would have killed me, she may only be 5 foot tall but you didn't mess with mama, and you sure don't do something to get arrested lol, I would not do that now, she would hunt me down belt in hand......
I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
bet that girl will have the same opinion as elp6n on the jelly beans now lol
[/ QUOTE ]
LMAO!
yes - my deep-rooted hatred of jelly beans also started as a counting exercise gone bad...
[img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
funny that you recalled that from the jellybean post!
You'll shoot your eye out.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]
See I knew there was some deep rooted issues with the jelly beans, you just don't hate ALL jelly beans without just cause, counting, now it all makes sense!!!
In all seriousness.....a 5 y/o being put in a police car cuffed and all is a bit much, do I think the school "Set the baby up" no, why would anyone want to set a child up to get arrested in kindergarten, but this post just goes to show how much crap goes on in the schools and how much discipline that kid needs at home. Redirecting a child for behaviors should never get to that point...
I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.
Bookmarks